Sunday Salon: It's a __________!

Bestill my pregnant heart--I think spring has finally arrived in Des Moines! Yesterday (while I was working all day, of course), it got up to the mid-fifties and was sunny and beautiful. Today is set to be even better: 68 and sunny. I'm preparing myself for back deck-sitting reading weather for most of the day. Chores? Probably not happening. Grilling out for dinner with Mr. Nomadreader? Definitely happening.

In other news...
It's a boy!
...the nomadbaby is happy to tell you he's a boy! I was not one of those moms-to-be who knew what I was having. Everyone else seemed convinced we were having a girl, however, and I was a bit surprised to see he's a boy. I'm also ecstatic. I didn't care whether the nomadbaby would be a boy or girl, but it's so nice to know. And to use the right pronoun. And picture what he will look like. And to have an answer to at least one question (no, he doesn't have a name yet, but there are several strong contenders. I even think Mr. Nomadreader and I now agree on which those strong contenders are--we've both abandoned a few names we each alone loved.)

The nomadbaby is also now big enough (21 weeks yesterday!) that I can feel him moving around inside of me all the time. It's totally awesome (and a little weird), but I can see how in a few weeks his constant dance moves may get annoying. Until then, if you see me, I might appear to be having a conversation with myself as my face betrays the movements my belly feels.

Reading
Perhaps the pregnancy brain fog is finally lifting because I'm actually craving literary fiction again (I'm still loving mysteries too!) Today I'm finishing up Thirty Girls by Susan Minot, which I've been reading since February and is actually really good, but it's depressing and the language is beautiful, and I have been a very moody reader rarely in the mood for it. Next up: more Bailey's Prize longlist titles. Perhaps The Shadow of the Crescent Moon by Fatima Bhutto. 

Now tell me: is it spring where you are? What are you reading?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Congrats on your sweet boy!!!! I have a soft spot for them, as you've seen. They are SO much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big CONGRATS....such an exciting time for you and your husband.

    I love how you call your husband Mr. Nomadreader and the baby nomadbaby. :)

    Have a great day.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your baby boy! In a few months from now, you will be able to see his movement under your skin. ;-) It's also weird but in a good way. Yay for the pregnancy fog lifting.

    I'm kind of nervous about reading Thirty Girls because of the subject matter, but maybe I should? Today I'm continuing Why Students Don't Like School and dipping into Beloved unexpectedly. I hope you guys enjoy today's good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats, congrats! Such fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little movements turn into full on foot kicking...usually to your very full bladder but it's all good, right? I laugh because my daughter head-butted me my entire pregnancy and she still does to this day. She will lean up against me and then leap off of me, head butting me in the process. It's funny how those little habits remain even after they come out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson