book review: The Black Ice by Michael Connelly

The backstory: The Black Ice is the second mystery in Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series (read my review of The Black Echo, the first in the series.)

The basics: When LAPD detective Cal Moore is found dead of an apparent suicide in a LA hotel room on Christmas, Harry Bosch investigates.

My thoughts: After loving the first Bosch novel, I was curious to see if Michael Connelly could write another that was as good. He did. I was foolishly impatient when The Black Ice began. "Where's the mystery?" I wondered. Soon, the novel was swirling with numerous mysteries that may or may not be connected, and I was enchanted.

There are some similarities to The Black Echo I could foresee becoming tropes, but they work here. Bosch is somewhat of a rogue, but he isn't a rogue for the sake of being one. As the action shifts to Mexico, the action became even more intense. I won't spoil the resolution, but I will say it is beautifully executed.

Favorite passage:  "We want the truth, Detective. You are confusing that with what we choose to tell the public."

The verdict: The Black Ice is every bit as good as The Black Echo was. If you're a fan of dark mysteries, drop what you're doing and start reading this highly addictive and accomplished series.

Rating: 5 out of 5
Length: 388 pages
Publication date: June 1, 1993 
Source: purchased

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy The Black Ice from an independent bookstore, the Book Depository or Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Michael Connelly's websitelike him on Facebook, and follow him on Twitter.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson