book review: The Blackhouse by Peter May

The backstory: The Blackhouse is the first mystery novel in Peter May's Lewis trilogy. May is also the author of two other mystery series: The Enzo Files and The China Thrillers.

The basics: One month after the death of his son, Fin Macleod is not eager to get back to work as a detective in Edinburgh. When a man is murdered on the Isle of Lewis, Fin's remote home village, the grisly crime scene details are similar to a murder Fin worked in Edinburgh, he's ordered back to the Isle of Lewis, where he hasn't visited in twenty years.

My thoughts: The Blackhouse is satisfying in two very different ways. First, it's a compelling police procedural, a genre of which I'm particularly fond. Second, it's a fascinating character study of both Fin Macleod and the residents of the Isle of Lewis. May masterfully interweaves both storylines and timelines in a way that enhances both elements. As a reader, I was always eager to uncover clues to both Fin's past, both through flashbacks and current conversations with locals, and solve the pressing crimes.

The verdict: The Blackhouse is a deeply satisfying literary mystery infused with strong elements of ethnography and fascinating character development. As soon as I turned the last page, I ordered the second volume of the trilogy, The Lewis Man from the Book Depository (no official news of a U.S. release yet, but I'd expect it in fall 2013, about a year after The Black House was published.)

Rating: 5 out of 5
Length: 401 pages
Publication date: October 2, 2012
Source: library

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy The Blackhouse from the Book Depository or Amazon (Kindle version--only $7.99!)

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I don't often read books in this genre, but you've made it sound rather stimulating and like something that I could really dig deeply into. I will be adding this one to my list right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like this one. A friend is sending me her copy to read and pass on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keen to read this one. I'm currently working my way through Ann Cleeves' Shetland series, which have a similar setting, so it would be interesting to compare them.

    Marie
    http://www.girlvsbookshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy police procedurals too. I'll wait for them all to be available in the US though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson