Sunday Salon: Screen Actors Guild Awards!

Well here we are dear readers, another Sunday, and another awards show I'm excited to enjoy with a few glasses of sparkling wine tonight! What sets the Screen Actors Guild apart from other shows? It is the true jury of peers. Actors vote on the best performances by actors. It can be a much bigger honor to receive the accolade's of one peers than to receive kudos from critics, and you'll see some of the more honest and emotional acceptance speeches at the SAG Awards. Plus, like the Golden Globes, the Screen Actors Guild Awards honor the best performances in both television and film.

Here are the nominees (with my picks and predictions; winners are in bold):

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture (a.k.a Best Film):
Black Swan
The Fighter - my pick and prediction
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Robert Duvall, Get Low
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King's Speech - my pick and prediction
James Franco, 127 Hours

Best Actress
Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan - my pick and prediction
Hilary Swank, Conviction

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Fighter -  my pick and prediction
John Hawkes, Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
Mila Kunis, Black Swan
Melissa Leo, The Fighter 
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit - my pick & prediction (even though I think she should be in the Best Actress category)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire
The Closer

Dexter
The Good Wife - my pick (I'm happy with The Closer too!)
Mad Men - my prediction

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
30 Rock
Glee 
Hot in Cleveland - my prediction
Modern Family - my pick
The Office

Best Actor, Drama
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men - my prediction
Hugh Laurie, House

Best Actress, Drama
Glenn Close, Damages
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU
Julianna Marguiles, The Good Wife- my pick and prediction
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

Best Actor, Comedy
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Ty Burrell, Modern Family - my pick
Steve Carell, The Office
Chris Colfer, Glee
Ed O'Neill, Modern Family - my prediction (Chris Colfer is hot right now, but I think his fellow SAG members will give it to Ed for being the only adult star shut out of Emmy nominations last year)

Best Actress, Comedy
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock - my pick
Jane Lynch, Glee - my prediction (Betty White could be the dark horse here!)
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Betty White, Hot in Cleveland

Best Actor, Television Movie or Miniseries
John Goodman, You Don't Know Jack - my pick
Al Pacino, You Don't Know Jack - my prediction
Dennis Quaid, The Special Relationship
Edgar Ramirez, Carlos
Patrick Stewart, Macbeth

Best Actress, Television Movie or Miniseries
Claire Danes, Temple Grandin -  my pick and prediction
Catherine O'Hara, Temple Grandin
Julia Ormon, Temple Grandin
Winona Ryder, When Love Is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story
Susan Sarandon, You Don't Know Jack

Stunt Ensemble, Movie
Green Zone - my pick (because Green Zone doesn't get nearly enough love)
Inception  - my prediction
Robin Hood

Stunt Ensemble, TV
CSI: NY
Dexter
Southland - my pick
True Blood - my prediction

How did I do? I got only nine right, but it was so refreshing to watch an award show with actual surprises, I'm happy to be a poor predictor!


Here's what is coming up on the blog this week:
  • my review of Birds of a Feather, the second Maisie Dobbs novel
  • my review of Blue Valentine, which just earned Michelle Williams an Oscar nomination
  • a Waiting on Wednesday pick I actually squealed with delight when I heard about
  • my review of Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich for a TLC Book Tour
  • my review of the criminally under-appreciated film The Green Zone
  • my review of Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein
  • my take on Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert, in honor of my first wedding anniversary
Now tell me, how are you spending your Sunday?

Comments

  1. My best friend highly recommended Black Swan to me last night and told me it was probably the best movie she has seen all year, which is quite high praise for her. I hope that you have a really great time watching the awards and that all your favorites take home a prize!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson