movie review: The Tourist

The TouristThe backstory: The Tourist is nominated for three Golden Globe Awards: Best Picture, Comedy; Best Actress in a Comedy, Angelina Jolie; and Best Actor in a Comedy, Johnny Depp. Also, it's set in Venice, which is my favorite city in the world.

The basics: Angelina Jolie, a mysterious British woman living in Paris and being trailed by British police, receives a note from her lover, and the reason she is being tailed. He instructs her to get on a train, find a man around his height and build, and convince the authorities it's him. 

My thoughts: Few things make me happier than films with frequent aerial shots and films shot in Venice, and The Tourist delivered both with gusto. The film has a somewhat unusual pace, but it appealed to me as a fan of old-fashioned spy capers. In some ways it defies genres. It's part adventure, part mystery, part romance, part comedy and part travelogue. Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp are both superb. I would not classify it is as a comedy, but they both deftly move their characters between the dramatic and the comedic. 

There are jaw-dropping twists and turns. There are swoon-worthy scenes. There are laughs and edge-of-your-seat moments. Overall, it's great fun.

The verdict: The Tourist may not be a great film, but it is perhaps the most enjoyable film I've seen this year. It's a film I'll purchase on dvd and watch again and again. It's perhaps the next best thing to being in Venice itself.

Rating: 4.5 stars (out of 5)
Length: 103 minutes
Release date: It's in these theaters now
Source: I paid to see at the Madison Theater

As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. I have loved Johnny Depp since I have been a teenager, and really wanted to see this movie over the weekend, but was unable to due to some scheduling conflicts. I am hoping to see this one before it goes out of the theaters, and seeing your positive review of it made my day. I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson