Sunday Salon: Orange Prize week

Folks, we are mere days away from learning the winner of this year's Orange Prize. I know I've been following the action more closely than most, but I cannot wait to learn the victor. I've been trying to read all six shortlist books. I've fared pretty well, but I doubt I will be able to read Wolf Hall before Wednesday. I've discovered a fellow fanatic at Farm Lane Books, and it's been wonderful talking about the books, even when we don't agree on them! Here's the shortlist:
Black Water Rising: A NovelWhite Woman on th Green BicycleThe Very Thought of YouThe Lacuna: A NovelA Gate at the StairsWolf Hall: A Novel (Man Booker Prize)


If you've been following this blog, you know how I feel about these books. I adored Black Water Rising and The White Woman on the Green Bicycle (review coming tomorrow). I enjoyed The Very Thought of You. I wasn't wild about A Gate at the Stairs. I'm close to finishing The Lacuna, but it has been a laborious read for me. I hope to finish this week. Sadly, I've yet to crack open Wolf Hall, and although I hope to at least start it, it seems unlikely I will finish it before the announcement June 9, 2010. 


My picks:


If I were voting, I'd vote for Black Water Rising by Attica Locke.


If I were betting, I'd put my money on The White Woman on the Green Bicycle by Monique Roffey (and its odds are currently 8:1!

Wolf Hall
 might win, but it would be huge. The same book has never won the Booker Prize and the Orange Prize.



I don't think The Very Thought of You has a real chance of winning.


I hope The Lacuna and A Gate at the Stairs don't win. 

Have you read any of these books?  Have an opinion without reading?  


I posted the responses with my recap of the official announcement Wednesday.



Comments

  1. I heart the Orange Prize, and I'm looking forward to seeing who wins. I'm also not nearly on top of things enough to have actually read the shortlisted books in time to actually weigh in on the matter in any sort of informed way. LOL! Nonetheless, I always consult the Orange Prize lists when I'm looking for good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the process of reading Wolf Hall, I doubt it would win, as you say. Hmm.. haven't read any of the others. I wish I had read more of this years nominees. Better luck next year hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At odds of 8:1 I'm very tempted to place a bet on The White Woman on the Green Bicycle! I really hope that it wins, but I thought the best books were all left on the long list. The Help really should have won :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the announcements for award winners! I immediately swoop down to find them and read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear what wins, but regardless I'm going to have to read Black Water Rising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read the longlist this year (well, nearly, just finishing off the final three) and posted about it today. I'm a big fan of Wolf Hall (which seems to be a bit unpopular at the moment) but I'm with you, the smart money is on Monique Roffey. I'm just crossing my fingers that The Very Thought of You doesn't win!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson