young adult book review: Deception by Lee Nichols

Deception (Haunting Emma)
It's no secret that paranormal is somewhat hit or miss for me. It's not a genre I seek out, but I often enjoy paranormal books. I do seem to enjoy paranormal books that veer more towards the normal side. Part of the intrigue and joy of paranormal is questioning where exactly the line between reality and fantasy is, and Deception  straddles that line beautifully.

Deception begins with Emma's parents leaving on a business trip. She's a normal high school girl with normal annoyances. There's mystery from the beginning, as Emma refers to secrets in her past. As the book moves forward, Emma's thoughts open up to the reader more, as though she were really getting to know you as you get to know her. I won't spoil the plot of this book because part of the joy is figuring out what normal, what's real, who is honest and how much anyone knows. It works as much as a mystery as a paranormal novel, but it will appeal to readers who aren't terribly keen on paranormal too.

I loved this book, and I'm excited to read more of this new Haunting Emma series. My one complaint: a monster cliffhanger. The worst part: this book won't come out until June, and I can't find any mention of the second book yet.

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)
Pages: 336 pages that will fly by as you read them
Publication date: June 8, 2010

Comments

  1. Stopping in to cheer your day of reading for the readathon.... hope you are enjoying a good book!


    Readathon Cheerleader :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I'll have to preorder it (or look for it at BEA).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson