dvd review: The Hurt Locker


The Hurt Locker, directed by Kathryn Bigelow, is the story of a U.S. bomb squad in Baghdad in 2004. It's a raw, honest war movie. It's hard to watch at times because it's intense. 


It's very, very good, but it is not quite great. Is it worth seeing? Yes, I think it illuminates the war in a way still photos, news footage and articles cannot. It's important to have a richer understanding of war and this war. Each scene opens with a graphic of the number of days the unit has left on their tour. What keeps this movie from being great as a movie is the lack of transcendence. Much of the film feels like a documentary, which is fine. When a story makes an appearance, it feels out of line with the rest of the movie. Perhaps there's too much side story or perhaps there's not enough. Either way, it was a nice break from the constant stress and tension, but it didn't quite work for me.


See this movie. It's not easy to watch, and at times it reminded me of a modern Saving Private Ryan. It's not a movie I'll want to watch again, but I am glad I saw it.There's some fantastic acting, and Kathryn Bigelow is a very talented director.


Awards: It's nominated for two Golden Globes, Best Picture (Drama) and Best Director


Rating: 4.25 stars (out of 5)
Running time: 130 minutes
Release: it's on dvd, and you can buy it in Blu-Ray too
Source: Netflix


As an Amazon Associate, I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase through the above links. So far I've made 28 cents! Thank you!

Comments

  1. It was an ok movie but hardly the entertainment value I personally wanted in a war film. No way does it come close to saving private ryan or we were soldiers or platoon etc.. I sorta want about 40% of my money back. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson