book review: Texts from Jane Eyre by Mallory Ortberg

The basics: Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters is a humorous take on classic literature. Ortberg humorously imagines interactions between classic characters through text message.

My thoughts: I have not read many classics, but I am moderately familiar with many, many classics. And even with the classics I was not as familiar (ahem, Daisy Miller), it was still easy enough to get the jokes.

I found this book best to read in short spurts because I find text speak annoying and intolerable in large doses. Yes, I use complete sentences and proper punctuation in text messages, but I have fallen hard for emojis.

And it is funny. It's sometimes silly funny and sometimes smart funny. It stretches from ancient Greece (Medea) to modern childhood favorites (The Baby-Sitters Club and Sweet Valley High). Reading it made me feel super smart, because I almost always got the jokes.

The verdict: Texts From Jane Eyre is a fun, smart read sure to delight young book lovers. If you like to feel smart and laugh (and you like books), it's a fun read--and would make a great holiday gift. 

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 240 pages
Publication date: November 4, 2014
Source: library

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Texts From Jane Eyre from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit the Texts from Jane Eyre website, like Mallory Ortberg on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley