book review: The Epilogue by Laia Abril

The basics: The Epilogue is a photographic and mixed media exploration of Cammy Robinson's life and death from bulimia, as well as how her family handles their grief at her death.

My thoughts: The Epilogue is unlike any book I've ever read. At first glance, it's a big, beautiful book. The cover is (intentionally) creepy, but as I turned each page, I was fascinated by its contents and how photographer Laia Abril chose to tell Cammy's story. Inserted between some of this book's glossy pages are reproductions (that look real) of artifacts from Cammy's life, including report cards, letters, and hospital records. These objects, along with the photographs provide a mesmerizing reading experience.

I didn't know what to expect when I started The Epilogue. It looked interesting and unique, but as I turned the first page, I didn't stop until I finished. I soaked this book up in a single sitting, simultaneously enjoying the reading experience and processing what a unique book (and thus reading experience) it is.

Cammy Robinson is not famous, except as the subject of this book. Through this book Abril tells both Cammy's story, which serves as an example of the harrowing disease of bulimia. Presented separately, the photographs of Cammy might not cause alarm, but seeing her body take on so many different sizes over the years is shocking. The way Abril unfolds those photographs is beautiful and tragic. The shock it produces isn't salacious--it's honest.

As I read, I couldn't help but imagine Cammy's life against my own. We are about the same age, so it was easy to imagine where my life and similar and different from hers as I read. I briefly struggled with an eating disorder, and to this day I can't understand what made me break free from it so easily while so many, including Cammy, cannot.

The verdict: The Epilogue is a fascinating book in many ways. It is both an emotionally moving story and a work of art.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Length: 172 pages
Publication date: November 18, 2014 
Source: library

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy The Epilogue from Amazon (no Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Laia Abril's website, follow her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley