personally: On Thanksgiving

Last year at Thanksgiving, I had a lot to be thankful for. But I was also somewhat frustrated and bitter. Mr. Nomadreader and I had been trying to get pregnant since April. I couldn't believe it still hadn't happened, and the holidays were imposing that sadness. We spent the year before we started trying to get pregnant enjoying "one last" everything. It was a wonderful year, and I loved every minute of it. I did not imagine I would face another Thanksgiving without a baby on the way, but there I was. "Fuck it," I said. "I wish I were pregnant, but I'm not, so let's get drunk." And I did. It was not the Thanksgiving I wanted, but it sure was fun. And little did I know then that less than two weeks later, I would take a pregnancy test, certain I wasn't pregnant, and discover I was. And this year I got to celebrate the first Thanksgiving with the nomadbaby. What a difference a year makes.

Happy Thanksgiving!


Comments

  1. What a cutie!!!!

    (Girl, it's been nine holidays for me and it doesn't necessarily get easier. *sigh*)

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jenny! I've told you before--I am in awe of your strength on your journey. I don't think I could do it. Still hoping your time is coming!

      Delete
  2. It took us 10 months to conceive - I was convinced I was infertile by the time I got my positive test result. And that's a lovely photo, look how happy he is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, how I wish we could have been a support to each other while both trying to conceive. Cheers to your first holidays with Giles!

      Delete
  3. What a great story - congratulations on enjoying this Thanksgiving with your little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'let's get drunk' approach works more times than you know!
    I am so glad that you finally have your beautiful baby boy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley