movie review: The King's Speech

The King's SpeechThe backstory: Already nominated for multiple Golden Globes, Screen Actor's Guild, Critic's Choice Award and Independent Spirit Awards, I was eager to see The King's Speech when it came out on Christmas. It went on to win 4 Academy Awards, including Best Picture at the 83rd Oscars.

The basics: Colin Firth plays King George VI of Britain as he tries to stop stuttering to lead England.

My thoughts: With no disrespect to Jeff Bridges, I think Colin Firth should have won the Best Actor Oscar last year for his performance in A Single Man. I think he finally will win Best Actor this year for his amazing performance in The King's Speech. I was mesmerized by his performance. Geoffrey Rush was similarly amazing, and the scenes with the two of them were magnificent. The screenplay was well-written. It captured enough background to place the film in context, but it never let the story get bogged down with its history. I laughed, I cried, and I joined the rest of the audience in spontaneous applause at the film's conclusion. It was a lovely way to spend my Christmas night, and it's a film I will keep recommending to everyone.

The verdict: The King's Speech is the perfect blend of humor, history and inspiration. It's my favorite film of 2010.

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5) 
Length: 118 minutes
Release date: It's in these theaters now
Source: I paid to see it at Albany's finest Spectrum Theatre.


As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. I just saw A Single Man a few weeks ago and loved it!! I agree that Firth should have won the award. I hadn't hear much about this movie, but it does indeed sound like something that I would really be interested in seeing. I kind of have a little crush on Colin Firth!! Great to hear that you loved the movie, and that it was your favorite of the year. I am going to be adding it to my list to watch in the new year!! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Colin Firth and think this movie looks fabulous! So glad to see you loved this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin Firth is awesome. I must see this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson